When It Rains, It Pours
I love my house. It has great natural light and airflow – a rarity among local homes. My front garden has progressed substantially in the past year and I now have beautiful pink, magenta and yellow flowers, fresh lemons along with a few young trees and lots of green! The backyard hasn’t made quite so much progress though. So, it remains all dirt and gravel.
Generally, the whole town is something of a historic lowlying swamp (not dissimilar to Washington DC). Put that together with no vegetation and what do you get? A lake. With every major rain storm (which was daily last week!), the soils become saturated and the rest of the rainfall has nowhere to go. Result: a large pool, about 3-4 inches deep. Everytime it happens, I stand on my back porch and marvel.
Possibly more amazing is that with the porous soils here, it all soaks away in an hour or two and I'm back to gravel and dirt. Here’s a less-than-perfectly-patched-together Panorama of my backyard…(landlords house in the back). The photo doesn't do the depth any justice, but believe me - it is remarkable!
Generally, the whole town is something of a historic lowlying swamp (not dissimilar to Washington DC). Put that together with no vegetation and what do you get? A lake. With every major rain storm (which was daily last week!), the soils become saturated and the rest of the rainfall has nowhere to go. Result: a large pool, about 3-4 inches deep. Everytime it happens, I stand on my back porch and marvel.
Possibly more amazing is that with the porous soils here, it all soaks away in an hour or two and I'm back to gravel and dirt. Here’s a less-than-perfectly-patched-together Panorama of my backyard…(landlords house in the back). The photo doesn't do the depth any justice, but believe me - it is remarkable!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home