Still doing great.
Here are the stats:
Nights slept on the office floor: 1
Dinners consisting of Doritos and Gatorade: 1
Number of people I found sleeping in my house at 11pm last night: approx. 15*
*I thought I would be staying the night in the office and told my landlady that she was free to stay in my house if she felt more secure that. Obviously she and all the neighbors did. I was just there to pick up a few items and stay with a friend anyways so I told them to go back to sleep. My own little refugee camp! : )
I have stayed in Timor, though the UN evacuated non-essential staff. I am temporarily working with the UNDP team to address the IDP (internally displaced people) camps and humanitarian situation. As you probably know, I have a fair bit of experience with this plus I have been here for quite some time.
I feel safe though I have also see the international media reports and understand why you are worried. I haven't seen most of what they show. The only way to explain is that the conflict is quite localized and targeted. I am not a target and have not been in the bad locals (which is not just luck). I fully believe I will be fine so please don't worry for me.
I am worried for the Timorese and I am worried for the future of this country. Yet again, I can only express my sadness. Yesterday, I was in the camp across the street where many of the UN staff have brought their families. People were generally sedate and milling around. An Australian blackhawk helicopter went over head and all the small children ran around cheering.
What kind of world do we live in when a 3-year old knows that a blackhawk means you are safe?
Here are the stats:
Nights slept on the office floor: 1
Dinners consisting of Doritos and Gatorade: 1
Number of people I found sleeping in my house at 11pm last night: approx. 15*
*I thought I would be staying the night in the office and told my landlady that she was free to stay in my house if she felt more secure that. Obviously she and all the neighbors did. I was just there to pick up a few items and stay with a friend anyways so I told them to go back to sleep. My own little refugee camp! : )
I have stayed in Timor, though the UN evacuated non-essential staff. I am temporarily working with the UNDP team to address the IDP (internally displaced people) camps and humanitarian situation. As you probably know, I have a fair bit of experience with this plus I have been here for quite some time.
I feel safe though I have also see the international media reports and understand why you are worried. I haven't seen most of what they show. The only way to explain is that the conflict is quite localized and targeted. I am not a target and have not been in the bad locals (which is not just luck). I fully believe I will be fine so please don't worry for me.
I am worried for the Timorese and I am worried for the future of this country. Yet again, I can only express my sadness. Yesterday, I was in the camp across the street where many of the UN staff have brought their families. People were generally sedate and milling around. An Australian blackhawk helicopter went over head and all the small children ran around cheering.
What kind of world do we live in when a 3-year old knows that a blackhawk means you are safe?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home